Friday, February 29, 2008

Family

Our challenge for this week was to blog about "where we came from." I, as usual, can't follow directions very well since this is what popped into my head.

The world lost a wonderful lady late last week. My grandfather's cousin, Pauline, passed away at the age of 97. She was one *incredible* lady and will be greatly missed by many.

Pauline was very independent and lived in the home she & her husband bought when they married up until recently. When my dad's cousin went to stay with her, she came home and told us some fun stories. Pauline had been a child of the depression and, because of this, didn't believe in throwing anything away. Tin cans from vegetables were washed and flattened then stored in her basement. She was still using the refrigerator she & her dh bought when they first married....the OLD kind that had to be defrosted each week! Curtains were taken down and washed weekly and were still in excellent condition because of the care she'd given them over the years. There were many more stories about things like this but I just can't remember them at the moment.

Pauline was also our family historian. Even though we had a secretary who took notes at each family reunion, Pauline took notes each year as well for as long as I can remember. A couple years ago, she told some of the family that all her family history info was to come to me....the first time I know of that she had said who would inherit this treasure trove. And what an honor! After making this announcement, she started sending a little bit to me through my dad's cousin then my parents (cousin lives near my parents). I have a few of the OLD family reunion notebooks and it's such a treat to look through them and see my great-aunt Opal's or great-aunt Mabel...or Grandma's...handwriting! Mom has also told me that she has several wheels of slides (and I think she said a slide projector) that Pauline sent for me to have old family photos.

Tomorrow is Pauline's memorial service and I just hate that I can't be there! Mom & Dad were going with Dad's cousin and her husband but those plans had to change just yesterday. I'm sure that Pauline would have understood and expected me to spend time with my own family this week-end but it just feels wrong to not be there. I guess I'll just have to make Steve go with me some day to visit her gravesite....

Good-bye, Pauline...there will never be another like you. I love you!

1 comment:

Katie said...

awwe how sweet.